Royal Air Force St Mawgan or more simply RAF St Mawgan is a Royal Air Force station near St Mawgan and Newquay in Cornwall. In 2008 the runway part of the site was handed over to Newquay Airport. The remainder of the station still continues to operate under the command of the RAF. RAF St Mawgan used to have the widest military runway in the UK (300 ft) and is the home for the Cornwall Air Ambulance service.
RAF St Mawgan is currently home to Defence Survival Training Organisation (DSTO), which is a tri-
Other lodger units located here at St Mawgan are Plymouth & Cornwall Wing of the Air Training Corps. The gate guard which is an Avro Shackleton aircraft will remain at RAF St Mawgan as long as there is a military presence.
Opened as a civilian airfield in 1933, it was requisitioned at the outbreak of World War II and named RAF Trebelzue, initially as a satellite of nearby RAF St Eval, but was expanded with twin concrete runways. In February 1943 it was renamed RAF St. Mawgan and in June 1943, the United States Army Air Forces took over and carried out a number of major improvements, including a new control tower and a further extension of the main runway. The airfield was put under care and maintenance on 1 July 1947.
In 1951, it reopened as a Coastal Command base used for maritime reconnaissance, flying Avro Lancaster and Avro Shackleton aircraft. In 1956, No 220 and 228 Long Range Reconnaissance Squadrons were renumbered No 201 and 206 Squadrons and joined by 42 Squadron. RAF St. Mawgan also became the Headquarters of 22 (helicopter) Sqn. In 1965, no 201 Squadron and 206 Squadron moved to RAF Kinloss and were replaced by the Maritime Operational Training Unit.
No 7 Sqn, flying Canberras, operated at RAF St. Mawgan as target tugs from 1970 until 1982, with No 22 Squadron moving out in 1974. 42 Squadron and 236 Operational Conversion Unit moved to RAF Kinloss in 1992, taking away RAF St Mawgan's fixed-
In 2005, RAF St Mawgan was one of the airfields shortlisted to house the new Joint Combat Aircraft (JCA) in 2013, but in November 2005 it was announced by Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram, that it would be going to RAF Lossiemouth in Scotland.
In November 2006, No. 1 Squadron RAF Regiment moved to RAF Honington and No. 2625 (County of Cornwall) Sqn Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF) was disbanded. Helicopter maintenance (HMF) also ceased here in that year. Until May 2008, RAF St Mawgan was primarily used as a Search and Rescue training camp and was home to 203(R) Squadron, equipped with Sea King helicopters. The SAR Force HQ was also located here. Both 203(R) Squadron and the SAR Force HQ moved to RAF Valley.
On 1 December 2008 the airfield part of the camp (including the civilian side) closed but the RAF still remain on a reduced area. This was to allow full control of the airport to be handed to Cornwall County Council, with work including a new ATC tower and runway lights. The airport received a full CAA license to operate in December 2008.
St Mawgan used to be the home of the Joint Maritime Facility, commissioned 18 August 1995, a command for undersea tracking operated by the Royal Navy and United States Navy. It was announced in early 2009 that the JMF would close in order to save the US Navy £6.5 million per year, losing 22 jobs in the process. Nuclear weapons (primarily B57 in depth bomb configuration) for use by the US Navy P.3 Orion, Royal Air Force Nimrod and Dutch P.3 Orion aircraft, were stored at the Naval Aviation Weapons Facility, situated at the west end of the airbase.
|THE OTHER LOCATIONS|
|WHAT IS A SPACEPORT|
|WHAT IS SPACE TOURISM?|
|SPACE PLANE DEVELOPERS|
|CORNWALL & IOS LEP|
|THE THEORETICAL SPACEPLANE DESIGN|
|RAF ST MAWGAN|
|ST MAWGAN VILLAGE|
|DOCUMENT PDF DOWNLOADS|
|SPACE AGENCY STATEMENT|